Wednesday 25 November 2015

My dear MIL and her pension

See original image
Today was my dear mother-in-law's birthday.  She would have been 101 if she was still alive, but alas, I feel she died much too soon at 77 years, a huge loss to us all, she was a lovely woman.

The reason I'm remarking on it is that we have been doing some pension paperwork today, and apart from realising the date, I was reminded of her story of her querying why she hadn't received her pension paperwork before her 60th birthday, and being told she was not entitled to a pension until the 25th December.

Of course, she was most indignant and as she rightly said:

  '... my birthday is 25th November, it's always been 25th November: don't you think I'd remember if my birthday was Christmas Day?...'

She was summoned to the local social security office, and armed with a copy of her birth certificate, confirmed the correct birth date.

She did get her pension, but always loved telling the tale.

Happy Birthday Hilda. X

2 comments:

  1. 77 is too young. I find it increasingly worrying, as time goes by, to hear of people dying in their 60s and 70s and am planning on at least 90 so I don't have to think about it for some years yet.

    I always remember the birthdays of family members who have gone and how old they would have been. It's a way of keeping their spirit alive I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When she died, 77 seemed quite old, but now I'm sort of heading that way too, I agree with your planning on reaching at least 90!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger