Saturday 12 May 2012

Pretty French fabric covered boxes



I thought you might like to share a photo that a lovely customer from Australia has sent me - she collects these gorgeous French fabric-covered boxes, and these are just a few of them. She bought the second from the top in the middle stack from me - it had a great Paris store label underneath which always adds to must-have-it-now quality.

I always buy these boxes when I see them in brocantes etc - and usually sell them on, but having seen her lovely collection, I might just start a collection of my own...

2 comments:

  1. Are these genuine antiques - or refurbished old boxes? They're wonderful whatever, but I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are genuine antiques. They used to be sold in French shops such as Au Printemps (and often still have a price label in francs stuck to the bottom). The boxes often came in sets - long rectangular shape for gloves, round ones for jewellery etc, the older ones from the 19thc are often outlined in metallic braid. I once managed to get 5 in a set, tried to sell them as a set but no luck, so I put them up for sale indvidually - and they all went to the same buyer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger